My Past Life Lesson

Once, I owned a very exotic bird. I can’t say for sure what type of bird, let alone the name by which I referred to it by. I only recall that it’s finely gilded cage hung next to the florally patterned armchair where I often sat. The very same chair that saw me take my last breath.

An artists rendering of a birdcage.Many young children report having memories of past lives. In the majority of cases, the remembrance of prominent details such as places, events, and names tend to fade with age. My own experience began much later on in life. At the time, my wife and I had only two children.

There was indeed nothing that foreshadowed my first past life recollection. On the contrary, it couldn’t have happened in a more benign of locations.

A barber shop.As every parent knows there are stages in your children’s lives that act as markers. A child’s first haircut is just such an occasion. So as the four of us sat quietly awaiting our turn, I could not have predicted what was to occur next.

As barber shops are wanton to do, portraits of various people ringed the room, each featuring a different style and cut. One, in particular, drew my attention. It was that of a young girl no more than four or five years of age. Her curly blond locks fell softly from beneath a beige straw hat, ringed with a powder blue silk ribbon.

Artists rendering of a little girl.

Instantly, a childhood memory began to play out in my mind’s eye. I envisioned my mother and I strolling side by side as we made our way to church. Beaming with excitement, so proud was I of my brand new hat, it’s soft blue ribbon a spot on match for my lace trimmed dress. I skipped joyfully alongside her, eager to show off my new Sunday Best to the whole congregation.

Since that day at the barber shop, I have learned to distinguish between memories of my current life and ones of the past. Both begin in the same manner. You recall an event as it occurred accompanied by whatever thoughts and emotions you were feeling at that moment. It’s when your mind attempts to categorize and place the memory into some sort of context that the divide occurs and it finally dawns on you, “That never happened to me.”

A red brick wall.Over the span of a decade, triggers such as old red brick walls, black iron rod fencing, and strangely enough apples would spontaneously generate past life recall. In retrospect, I have been able to place these individual recounts into sequential order enabling me to shed additional light on the who, what and where of my previous existence.

A young girl, born into wealth sometime in mid 18th century France, attending church was the only recollection wherein my mother was present. As to why I cannot say but my intuition leads me to believe that she fell victim to an untimely death.

An artists rendering of a fat man.My father was a stout jovial man with a barrel-shaped body and a laugh to match. A successful businessman actively involved in manufacturing, he had made his mark during the period of innovation and prosperity brought about by the Industrial Revolution.

The most revolutionary of these new innovations was the automobile. I recall peering down at a barn located a hundred or so yards from where I stood. My father and several of his colleagues were inside enthusiastically fawning over this latest invention. The machine’s financial potential was not lost on these well-heeled industrialists. It was going to be a game changer.

A red barn in an open field.Suddenly, what had been gleeful exuberance erupted into panic and mayhem. Something terrible had gone wrong. The men began to shout back up toward the house urgently pleading for assistance. Someone quickly rushed over to where I stood and promptly shuffled me away from the scene. Soon after, I was to discover what all the commotion had been about. My father had had a heart attack. He died that very same day.

Happily, I remember some wonderful times spent with my father before that fateful day. On one such occasion, we attended a formal party together hosted in a lovely Victorian era Mansard styled home. Elegance and grace were the order of the day with many of Paris’ finest citizenry in attendance.

A Mansard style home in France.At some point in the evening, my father introduced me to a very distinguished naval officer. He appeared to be ten or so years my senior. Though I was painfully shy, he somehow managed to have me up and waltzing in no time at all. Eventually, we made our way out to the wide veranda that encircled the stately home.  We sat and talked for what seemed like hours.

Over the next several years, we remained quite close, often speaking of marriage. He would soon prove to be the third tragic loss in my life.

A chateau in Europe.Being that I was still quite young at the time of my father’s passing, I was soon sent off to live in Belgium. As to whether my new guardians were immediate family or just close friends I cannot say. I do although recall certain details of their lovely chateau.

A row of tall glazed sash windows ran the length of the buildings front facade, openly welcoming those who rounded the looping stone driveway. Toward the back, a small lake set like a sapphire crowned the expansive gardens and grounds.

Ornate gardens and grounds. The fact that I so fondly recall this lake leads me to believe that I visited often. Being so calm, peaceful and serene it would have been the perfect place for a lost soul trying to make sense of her life.

While there, the young naval officer and I continued to correspond. When news of his death in battle finally reached me, I was utterly devasted. I felt cheated, infuriated that God had stolen him away from me in such a cruel and callous manner.

A tall ship on the open sea. Everyone close to me, all those I’d cared so dearly about He had snatched away. What wretched circumstance had brought this calamity about? What had I done to deserve this? Why was I being subjected to this unwarranted retribution? It hurt to breathe.

Artists rendering of the English Channel.In time, I made my way up to the northern coast of France. Tears streamed down my face, as I stared blankly out over the grey English Channel. My stomach, in knots, convulsed uncontrollably as I fought for every breath. I thought by nearing the sea, I’d feel closer to my love, maybe even some sense of closure. I was hoping against hope.

There was a certain finality that day along the water’s edge. I no longer felt the desire nor the strength to soldier on. Something inside me had died. There was to be no resurrection.

Antique living room.The affluence with which my father had left me proved to be my final undoing. Given that I had no need to work, I never did. I spent my remaining days locked up in my estate, bitter and resentful, having never come to terms with the grievous events of my life.

On my last day, I sat as I ofttimes did in my favorite Marquise chair. The gilded birdcage, as always, on my left. I took one final shallow breath, exhaled slowly, then slumped to one side. It was finally over, or so I thought.

Suddenly, I found myself slowly rising out of and then above my chair. I sensed a definite upward motion. Accelerating ever faster my immediate surroundings became less and less defined.

Black and white blur.Higher and higher I rose. The foreground, having faded to a blur of white and grey, rushed past me at incredible speed. Finally, as is with the dark curtain that draws an end to the actor’s final performance, the scene went black. I recall nothing more.

Given time, effort and use of the internet, I suppose I could locate these places and people and in doing so discover just exactly who I was. I’ve just never felt the need or inclination.

Buttercups and wild flowers.The real tragedy of my past life was not the death of those around me but rather my own lack of understanding that “life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.”

I had abundance and wealth with which I could have done tremendous and generous works, but I chose instead to allow grief and sorrow to swallow me whole. And though I have faced emotional adversity and troubling circumstance in my current life, it is this past lesson learned that enables me to keep moving forward, forever envisioning a brighter future and a better day.

A man facing the setting sun.

COME ALONG WITH US
Join with us on our nomadic journey of meditative musings and receive your FREE esoteric guide to Building Better Relationships, TenZen: Daily Peace Practice.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

63 thoughts on “My Past Life Lesson

1. This is soo deep, and sad.. however the lessons learnt in the past are truly helpful and makes us cautious to not repeat the same.

This is very true.

And I you.

2. Monica Cláudia says:

Deep..mixed feelings, I don’t really know what to say..true..good post.

3. awww such an experience you have had i wish they shape you into a better person you are and help you discover who you truly are.

4. What an incredible tale! Like many (most?) people, I’ve always been skeptical about past life experiences, but your account is so vivid and the memories so real, it does make me wonder. You should write a novella based on the events, at the very least, as an ebook.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for your kind words. I am writing a novel atm. Not based on this but more a metaphysical Fatal Attraction.

5. Memories are so powerful. I watched a live streaming of church service this week, and the message was all about taming your memories to enrich your present and positively influence your future.

1. tenzendude says:

Sounds like a great message.

6. Experiences shape up the personality of human being. It was interesting to hear from your side. Love the northern coast of France it’s so mesmerizing <3

7. Elizabeth O says:

This was such an interesting read. It must be both hard and fascinating to be able to recall past lives.

8. Sauumye Chauhan says:

This is a really interesting read. Even though I have never personally experienced something like this but these experiences shape us and our personality.

1. tenzendude says:

It does indeed. For the record, I never asked for these experiences they simply occurred on their own.

9. Super interesting to learn about other’s childhood and experiences! Good reminder that we’re all so different.

10. I’m always curious to know about the experiences of people who experience these lives and how they come about. It definitely would be fascinating research to find out all about them.

1. tenzendude says:

For me, it just began to happen at random.

11. Khushboo Motihar says:

Well I have mixed feelings about this but I am sure there are other people out there who have experienced similar things 🙂

12. I believe the word of God is true. Therefore, there is no such thing as a past life. Once we die, there is a place our soul will live for eternity.

1. tenzendude says:

And you are certainly entitled to that belief.

13. Rhian Westbury says:

It’s nice to have something to believe in and something to hold on to. It’s nice that you got to experience this x

14. Wow! This was extremely interesting to read, I love your optimistic outlook. I have really never heard of any experience like this before but I believe that your experiences help shape your character.

1. tenzendude says:

It just kinda happened over the years.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. Incidentally, I didn’t ask for these memories they just happened all on their own.

15. This is very interesting. I also have random images and scenarios in my mind that looked so real but I am certain that it has never happened to me in this lifetime. The idea that these are from our past lives makes sense and I can’t help be also curious to find out who I was before. Hope you can share more about your journey of this rediscovery of our past.

1. tenzendude says:

Interesting to read about you experiencing similar. You will have to start making notes each time you have a recollection. You may just fit some pieces together.

16. Jennifer Prince says:

I don’t know how I feel about this. Although I may chalk your memories up to imagination or creativity, I don’t really think there is such a thing as reincarnation.

1. tenzendude says:

Truthfully, nor did I at one time. Enjoy your blog as well. I sold diamond engagement rings, in addition to other jewelry, for a living a number of years ago.

17. Wow what a very deep and thought provoking post. You should look a little more into your memories.

1. tenzendude says:

Perhaps one day. Right now, I am more focused on writing my short stories and developing ecourses on eastern philosophy.

18. What an interesting read it was! I have never ever thought of previous lives. I am not sure I even believe in this, but I loved your writing.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. As long as you enjoyed the story. That was my only aim.

19. This is extremely fascinating. The possibility that these are from our past lives bodes well and I can’t help be likewise inquisitive to discover my identity previously. Expectation you can share more about your adventure of this rediscovery of our past.

20. so much colourful pics with an interesting read. I believe in reincarnations and past life. Yes, I was also very much thrilled to know about a boy who lived in my society and his talks which relates his past life or place he know but never went there. It was both scary and thrilling for me.

Sounds interesting.

21. I do believe that we are made out of energies and molecules that memorize happiness from the past. Sometimes we can experience them in our dreams and call them deja vu.

1. tenzendude says:

Yes, deja vu is interesting in and of itself.

22. I read everything. What a coherent recollection and what nice lessons you gleaned. A lot of times, we let grief consume us when there is so much life around us. Indeed, we can be channels of God’s blessings if only we allow ourselves.

1. tenzendude says:

Great insight. Thank you.

23. It’s quite a long post but I must say it’s a great read. Thank you for sharing your memories. I felt your struggles and success with all the words you’ve written. Keep moving forward!

1. tenzendude says:

It’s hard to write a complete story in just 1500 words. Lol I am glad you enjoyed it though. Thank you.

24. I think I’ve always believed that reincarnation was real but I’ve never known anyone who had such visceral experiences with it. Sometimes I get these feelings about life, though, like I’ll get another chance to do certain things in my next life. Sometimes it’s an instinctual thought and Idk it’s a weird feeling. This is pretty awesome though.

1. tenzendude says:

You should start documenting your feelings, thoughts and memories They may just reveal the hidden story of you.

25. Thank you for sharing your life lessons in the past. What the importance is you’ve have those lessons which guides you to face the future.

26. This is such a moving blog post. Those are really good life lessons. The images also helped in visualizing everything. This is really interesting.

27. Oh I love this. I think that sharing life lessons is so important and something we can all draw from and find our own lessons in.

28. I always love hearing stories from peoples’ childhoods. I feel like our childhood has such a big impact on who we are today! Thanks for sharing!

29. This is a beautifully written post and I loved every bit of it. I have not had anything like this happen to me but my significant other has de ja vu moments a lot. I will have to share this with him.

Thank you.

30. Wow that is really rare that someone can recollect past life experiences this detailed. You are very lucky!

1. tenzendude says:

Well the memories repeated themselves so I was able to glean more detail each time.

31. angienh86 says:

I love hearing other peoples stories. Everything we experience impacts us in some way!

32. Such wonderful experiences you are able to remember. Myself I can barely remember childhood of this life. My memory isn’t very good. Must be incredible to remember like this.

1. tenzendude says:

I remember bits and pieces of two others. One in the depression years of the 1930″s and another somewhere over in Asia. But not enough to be coherent.

33. Very interesting read. I never had this experience but this is amazing. You must be very lucky about your memory. Thanks for sharing it.

1. tenzendude says:

You are most welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it.

34. Such an interesting experience. I must say that it is very rare but you are so lucky to have memories of them all.

1. tenzendude says:

It was interesting to piece it all together.

35. Wow, that an interesting `post. I have heard that children will remember past lives more. It’s all a very interesting concept.

36. Cătălina-Iuliana Nini says:

Either we believe or not in past lives or not, we are right. I get this feelings while I am dreaming. After all , who can tell we are not living 2 realities – one in the present and a parallel one in our dreams ?

1. tenzendude says:

Who can say we aren’t living many lives simultaneously on different planes of existence.