The Disappearance of Jacob Johnstone

Friends and family breathed a sigh of relief on the day Jacob Johnstone disappeared. A growing source of anguish and despair, his wife Julie was at her wit’s end. Each day, she prayed in silent consternation pleading for it all to just end. And so one evening, it did.

A shadow figureAt first, Jacob attributed the changes in his temperament to stress. After all, this was by far the largest project his fledgling construction company had ever undertaken. The pressure to perform was immense. Not only was he was pushing his crew to the limit but indeed his own financial capability. This job was either going to make him or break him.

Construction workersHe had done his share of small commercial contracts before but nothing on the scale of King George Public School. A basic tare down was one thing, but a controlled demolition was quite another. So as he made his way from classroom to classroom, through long since empty hallways, his focus was laser sharp, his attention singular.

Once the community’s hub, the hundred-plus-year-old red brick lady had fallen victim to the endless march of time. Declining enrollment had been her final death throw. Baby boomers from a bygone era no longer filled her halls with their shouts of joy and laughter. The classrooms, once beehives of actively, now sat dusty, dank and deafeningly quiet.

King George SchoolJacob moved methodically throughout the facility, taking note of where best to place each charge. The structure needed to be weakened at certain points in order that it collapse within the specified safety zone.

From room to room he walked, each indistinguishable from the last. Thus was why he took immediate notice of the sudden temperature drop upon entering room 2B. He quickly surmised from his surroundings that it had once served as the English Literature class. The irony of it being 2B was not lost on him.

King George SchoolRecollections of his own junior high school days flooded in. How he had detested his English teacher. The constant berating and drilling in of nouns, adjectives, and verbs made the arrogant old codger almost intolerable. “No one gives a damn about grammar anyways. Besides, Shakespeare sucked,” he muttered aloud.

Throwing aside the thought, he walked over to investigate the long sill. He ascertained that one of his crew must have forgotten to close a window. His assumption proved correct. The far right pane lay partway open, a crisp autumn breeze fluttering through.

King George SchoolPlacing his hands firmly on the top rail, he applied a strong downward pressure. It didn’t budge. He redoubled his efforts, but still, the sash remained firmly in place. “No matter,” he thought, “Your time’s almost up anyway.”

He had just exited the classroom when a thundering crash brought Jacob to an abrupt halt. His heart leapt to his throat, the reverberating boom echoing throughout the building. “What the hell was that?” he asked frantically.

A picture of a broken windowHis pulse raced feverishly, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He took a moment to calm himself then slowly stepped back. Cautiously, he peeked his head around the door in the direction of the raucous sound. His mouth fell open slack as he looked on in disbelief. Shards of broken and shattered glass lay strewn and scattered about the floor. Above, the window that had been jammed open just seconds before now inexplicably slammed violently shut.

King George SchoolHe scrambled to make sense of the alarming scene. “What? How?” His nerves already beyond frayed, he decided it best to just completely dismiss the strange occurrence. Hastily, he finished up what he had come to do, promptly exited the school and headed home.

Julie was accustom to Jacob coming home late at night, often awaiting his safe arrival. This evening was no different. She gently kissed his cheek, bid him goodnight and made her way upstairs. Jacob followed soon after.

A ghostly image of a man.It had not been a peaceful night for Jacob. Julie, aware of her husband’s restlessness, made a point of asking him about it at breakfast. “I don’t know” Jacob shrugged, “I just kept tossing and turning.” Not wishing to worry his wife further, he made no mention of the frightening nightmares that had precipitated his fitful sleep.

His body felt sluggish, his mind blurred as he pulled into the construction yard that morning.  He immediately took note that Bob, his foreman, had yet to arrive. Storming into the office, he screamed at Lisa, “Where the hell is Bob?”

An office administrator.Lisa and Jacob had been friends since high school. She ran the office like a finely tuned instrument. “He phoned and said he was running late.” Jacob just shook his head then stormed off to his office.

Lisa, acutely aware of her surroundings, realized that it wasn’t at all like Jacob to fly off the handle like that. She knocked softly then tentatively pushed Jabob’s office door open. “Are you ok?” she enquired. Slowly, he raised his hands to his face then proceeded to rub his temples. “I am sorry Lisa. I just don’t feel like myself today.” She smiled back empathetically. “Well, if you need anything, just let me know.” “I will, thanks,” he replied apologetically.

King George SchoolJacob did his best to maintain focus throughout the day. Perhaps he had picked up some bug in that cold English classroom, or worse yet, something toxic. Either way, he knew that at this juncture, he’d just have to push through it. There was just too much hanging in the balance to let things slip.

Pulling into the drive that evening, he leaned over and rested his forehead on the steering wheel. “What is wrong with me?” he wondered aloud. Suddenly a disembodied voice rang out “How fares thee, good sir?” Jacob instinctively jerked his body erect. He peered about the truck in every direction, startled by the unexpected response.

An street light on a dark night.Throwing open the truck door he bolted out into the street. His eyes darted one way then the next. Nothing. Puzzled and confused, he resignedly turned around and walked back toward the house. “On man, I really am losing it.”

He dared not mention the occurrence to his wife, unaware that Lisa had called earlier that day expressing her concerns to Julie. “Something is wrong with him.” she’d told Julie. “Ever since he went to the school the other day he’s been acting really weird” Julie concurred but quickly rationalized. “I am sure it’s just the stress of this job,” she said half-heartedly. “He’ll be fine once the demo is over.” Even she doubted her words.

King George SchoolAs the week wore on Jacob became increasingly more reclusive. “I am fine!” he would respond tersely to the slightest of inquiry. But things weren’t fine and word of his malaise was quickly getting around town.

His employees, initially worried about his well being were becoming increasingly more concerned about their own. Everyone involved was counting on this job, and given Jacob’s erratic behavior, the whole deal was now being called into question.

King George SchoolThe sun’s rays flooded the kitchen on the morning of the demolition. In what had become a rare moment of clarity, Jacob finally admitted to Julie. “I think I am losing my mind.” He shuffled in his chair for a moment and then looked her directly in the eye. “I am hearing a voice. It’s as though someone is trying to take control over me.”

Julie’s heart sank. She began to hyperventilate, her breathing becoming rapid and shallow. “Oh my God Jacob. We have to get you to the hospital”, she pleaded.

Jacob forcefully pushed himself away from the kitchen table and jumped to his feet. “No damn way Julie. They’ll think I’m crazy.” He began pacing about the room. “We’ll lose everything. The contract, the business, the house, everything!” He turned to Julie with a threatening glare, “You don’t tell a soul, you got that? I’ll be fine just as soon as this damn demo is over”

He snatched his coat off the back of the kitchen chair and stormed out of the house. Shaken, Julie sat motionless, staring aimlessly at the wall clock. “I hope so Jacob.” she lamented, “For our sake, I hope so.”

A young coupleThat evening, following the demolition, Jacob swung open the front door and greeted his wife with a mischievous grin. There was a spring in his step and a playful air about him. He whistled gleefully as he rummaged through the refrigerator. “I am sorry, I didn’t expect you home for supper, ” Julie said apologetically. “Oh that’s ok dear, I understand.”

Julie was taken aback by Jacob’s jovial behavior. It was a pleasant surprise but at the same time quite disconcerting. “Are, are you ok?” she asked hesitantly. “Never better,” Jacob said with a wink. “I feel like a new man.”

Not wanting to push her luck, Julie motioned toward the stairs. “I’m umm, heading off to bed. Good ahh….goodnight Jacob” He sauntered up to Julie and lovingly cupped her face in the palm of his hand. Drawing her nearer, he softly spoke, “Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good night till it be morrow.’

Green eyesJulie’s lips curled into a wry smile. Not quite believing of her own ears, she hoped that the nightmare might finally be over. As she ascended the stairs, Jacob turned and strolled back toward the kitchen. Walking past the hall mirror he stopped himself then took a step back and gazed deeply into its reflective surface. Leaning in closer still, he peered intently into his eyes, as if for the first time. “Hmmmmm, green. How enchanting.” he pondered, “Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell Jacob, adieu.”

COME ALONG WITH US
Join with us on our nomadic journey of meditative musings and receive your FREE esoteric guide to Building Better Relationships, TenZen: Daily Peace Practice.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

154 thoughts on “The Disappearance of Jacob Johnstone

1. Great story, I wasn’t sure where it was going and thought maybe it was a real life experience until the end.

2. Oh, such a eerie short story! I like it! I’m quite the ghost story / horror buff, so this was refreshing. Thank you for posting. 🙂

You are welcome.

3. Very interesting and captivating story. I wonder what will happen next! The part about all the high school memories was fun to read as well.

4. Very captivating story, the pace of the writing was good and kept the reader guessing. I wonder what happens next!

Thank you.

5. I didn’t realize that you started a new story series. I am amazed I will keep an eye on it.

6. Melissa Bradbury says:

Great story, I also like how you have animated it with pictures as it really sets the scene.

1. tenzendude says:

Most pics were taken at the exact school I wrote about

7. Jennifer Prince says:

So interesting! I love that you have a creative mind and can write such visual things like this. Great job!

1. tenzendude says:

8. Interesting read. I’m glad I read the comments too. It’s cool to know most of the pics were from the actual school you wrote about.

1. tenzendude says:

They are indeed. Even recorded an EVP on the top floor. The school is actually still in use as a Production Office for the film industry which in I work.

9. I love to read horror stories so I really liked it’s story line. These pictures also compliment your story really well. Great read.

Thank you.

10. You interested me with the story. Excellent writing style and a very interesting story. I love mystery stories.

11. I really do appreciate the narration here. It leads you on a bit of a journey. It’s beautiful told and I am always curious in mysteries.

12. What an interesting story. It got my attention from the start. I love reading mystery stories like this.

13. Such a great story! For a while I thought maybe the school was haunted, and then it went in a completely different direction. Once I got started, I couldn’t stop until I knew how it was going to end. So well done.

Thank you very much.

14. I really appreciate and amazed by your writing and creativity. Good job

Thank you.

15. Ahhh what a great story! I couldn’t stop reading, was totally gripped!

Thank you.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

16. You write with style, how can I say it because I also write short stories I find your interesting.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you Papa. I appreciate it.

17. I am a fan of horror and mysteries and your story here caught my attention from the very beginning to the end. Well done. A very interesting plot I would say.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. That means a lot to a novice writer such as myself.

1. tenzendude says:

The school and pictures of it are real. lol We were using the school as a Production Office for a Hallmark movie we just wrapped. It closed several years ago and the top floors are pretty creepy.

18. Bianca Sasha says:

I love true crime- podcasts and investigative journalism; this story is chilling. Anytime I read or listen to something scary I have to rinse it with something light!

1. tenzendude says:

Well I have just started writing such a light story. lol “Ocean Annie.” Thank you for your comments.

19. Great way of narration, which i want to learn… narrating a story is no less than an art 🙂

Thank you Sania.

20. I absolutely loved this. Such a great piece of writing, a brilliant short story that kept me guessing on where it was going. Really great work. I’ll be keeping an eye on this page in the future!

1. tenzendude says:

So nice to read such a wonderful comment. I put a lot of effort into my stories so it’s really quite gratifying when people enjoy them. Next up, “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer.”

21. Beautiful narrative! I thought it might be a real life experience, until the end! A wonderful piece of writing!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you very much Suchi. Going a bit lighter next metaphysical story. “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer.”

22. I can’t stop thinking about the story. In end end, did the voice/spirit end up taking over Jacob after it didn’t have a home anymore in the school? The world may never know ..

1. tenzendude says:

That would seem to be the case. lol My next paranormal story will be a bit lighter, “Ocean Annie’s Magickal Summer.” I enjoy reading your blog btw. Hope all works out with the new job.

23. Caroline Brandt says:

You are such a great writer! This was such a fun and thrilling read from start to finish. -Tonya Morris

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for such a wonderfully encouraging comment Tonya.

24. I am hooked. I need to read what happened next. Haha! Now I have to listen to Greensleeves.

1. tenzendude says:

Lol I think most people know Greensleeves without knowing they do. The abandoned school and pictures are real. It’s serving as the production office for the Hallmark Christmas movie we are currently shooting. It’s a creepy place so it inspired the story.

25. I liked reading your story. It’s very captivating. Thanks for inspiring and keep it up:)

26. filip19933 says:

Oh very creepy! I love it, I want to keep on reading haha! 🙂

1. tenzendude says:

The building and pics are real. It is a creepy old place. 🤤

27. Nice photos, and relating to the story is a great one!

28. marjiemare says:

This is a very interesting story. I am going to share it with my older daughter, she likes stories like that.

Thank you for doing so.

29. Such a nice story! Very well-written and presented. 🙂

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you very much. I appreciate you kind words.

30. Grasping the interest of the reader by narrating a story is really difficult. One can build interest by telling a story but building interest through writing is a work of a master. Great piece! Keep it up. Got to know something new about the character in each segment!

1. tenzendude says:

So kind of you to say. That was only my second attempt at a fictional story but I quite enjoy writing them. The one I am currently working on is a bit lighter, “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer.”

31. Great review, it was very attention grabbing and interesting, I love the pictures too. I look forward to your next one!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you so much. The next story is a bit lighter. “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer”

32. Whitney Kutch says:

What a great short story! Excellent writing and kept me hooked until the end 🙂

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you very much Whitney.

33. You are a very creative writer! I love how the beginning starts off with a lot of mystery.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you Cassandra. My next metaphysical tale is a bit lighter. “Ocean Annie’s Magickal Summer.”

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for taking the time to say so Chloe.

34. Wow what a great story! You write so well, I really enjoyed reading this and would love to read more from you!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you so much. The next story you may enjoy as well given you have daughters. A light metaphysical tale called, “Ocean Annie’s Magickal Summer.”

35. cleverlychanging says:

This story definitely captivated my attention. I enjoyed the flow and the adventure of it all.

Thank you so much.

36. Blair villanueva says:

Your story needs more popcorn while reading. Very intriguing. I want more!

37. Blair villanueva says:

Very interesting way of writing. I need more popcorn while reading this. Kudos!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you Blair and pass that popcorn.

38. Elizabeth O says:

This was a captivating read indeed. It felt very real which I love in a story of this nature. You did a great job.

39. Christopher Mitchell says:

Woah, interesting and captivating read here, I enjoyed it!

Thank you Christopher.

40. I love this kind of writing. I am very much into the esoteric styles. I find that the 1800’s had quite a few esoteric authors. This is a great short story – have you tried to publish?

1. tenzendude says:

Not yet but having recently joined the film business I am forwarding them directly to producers and directors.

41. Great story, really captivating and interesting. Scared me a little!

1. tenzendude says:

Well the building and pictures of it are real. They closed the school years ago and walking around it can be creepy.

42. I didn’t know where it was going this whole story but the end was really good!

1. tenzendude says:

I am glad you enjoyed it.

43. Spooky! I guess it wasn’t so smart to read this during the time that I am alone in the house. It gave me creeps!

1. tenzendude says:

The building and pics are real. We use the school now as a production office for Hallmark’s Crossing Rivers Christmas movie.

1. tenzendude says:

44. That’s pretty interesting story, the way you begin and the way you end has made is really worth reading.

Thank you.

45. Fantastic, that went very well with my cup of chai, thank you. I loved the momentum you built up as the story progressed. The “soft” ending, instead of being anti climactic, did a great job of sealing the story. I could feel the light, and new beginnings for his wife! But what happened to Jacob?

Indeed. What happened to Jacob? lol

46. I was hooked from the first paragraph and really enjoyed reading this short story! I didn’t see a possession coming though but I definitely won’t be going into old creepy buildings alone, thats for sure :O

1. tenzendude says:

I am sincerely glad you enjoyed it.

47. This story had my full attention from the start to finish. Very captivating story and I love your writing voice.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

48. Nice story plot, you have such creative mind. You write it so well. Love reading it!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for saying so Aiai.

49. I’ve always loved ghost stories. You’ve done a great job with this.

Thank you Menesa.

50. Loved reading this and I could picture the characters in my mind. Jacob seems to be the one I most want to hear more about…isn’t that always the way? The one who is most troubled gets the attention in a story. 🙂 Good writing!

Thank you. PoorJacob. Guess he shouldn’t have dissed Shakespeare. Lol

1. tenzendude says:

I will most certainly check your site out. Thank you.

51. Melissa Bradbury says:

Great story, you have come up with a really good idea.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you. My next, “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer.” is in the works.

2. tenzendude says:

Thank you.

52. What a spooky tale! How do you come up with your stories? I can never find the creativity to write fiction

1. tenzendude says:

That was only my second fiction story. I happened to be working at that very school while filming a movie for Hallmark. So the building itself inspired the story.

53. I’m not quite the ghost story / horror fan but I enjoyed reading this one. Well done with choosing the images as well.

1. tenzendude says:

The images are of the actual school. It was closed a few years ago but now serves as film production offices. It is creepy. Lol

54. great and fun read, perfect for this time of year! can’t wait to read what’s next!

55. I’m not a big fan of ghost/ scary stories but I enjoyed this one. It kept me wanting to read more.

56. What a great story! I am not a big fan of ghost stories, but this kept me entertained! Thank you for sharing! It kept me on my toes the entire time I was reading it.

57. Jacinta Grand says:

Sucha great story! It really kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. Well done!

58. What a great story! I love reading a good short story that keeps you captivated! I look forward to reading more of your work.

59. I had mixed emotions will reading your post. Scary but interesting. Definitely worth sharing. Looking forward to more of your work.

Thank you so very much.

60. What an interesting story! You are so talanted!!! There are no that many people who can write short but so interesting stories!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank is very kind of you to say.

61. Ahh so creepy! I enjoyed reading your story. Very well written and captivating!

1. tenzendude says:

I am happy that you enjoyed it.

62. I have got to admit, I’ve been sitting here curled up in my little chair in front of the computer and I didn’t realize how dark and creepy my house was right now until I opened this post! You certainly got my attention. I love short stories, can’t wait to read more.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for your wonderful comment. My next metaphysical tale is a bit lighter, “Ocean Annie’s Magical Summer.”

63. blair villanueva says:

I am reading it and not realizing I am open-mouth. Hahaha it was a good read though!
    Very intriguing as well 😀

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed it.

64. Jennifer Prince says:

You have such a creative and vivid mind. I adore your stories, and I loved the twist at the end. So interesting!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you Jennifer. My next is a bit lighter metaphysical tale called, “Ocean Annie’s Magickal Summer.”

65. Great story! I was just jolted by the ending. I didn’t expect that totally hahaha

1. tenzendude says:

Indeed, where did Jacob go?

66. Very interesting story, and fitting for this time of year. Kept me guessing until the end. Nice to have some twists and turns!

1. tenzendude says:

I am glad that you enjoyed it.

67. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

I want to know more! What happened to Jacob? Did he die? Was he taken over my some lost spirit? Goodness, you had me on the edge of my seat! Bravo! Such superb creative writing! Bookmarking your site now.

Poor Jacob. Where did he go? Lol

68. Geraline Batarra says:

This is such a very interesting story to read. Honestly, I am okay reading the first and second paragraph but my heart beats fast while reading this whole story and even I’m scared I can say that it is a good story.

69. A captivating read but a little scary. You have a talent for writing that you should be proud of x

70. This is really well written and it keeps the reader captivated from the start to the end. I like that it has a frightening element to it as it keeps the reader on edge.

1. tenzendude says:

Mom time is a busy time. Lol

71. This is such a wonderful and captivating story. It got scary in between and I must say I freaked out a little bit but it was a good and refreshing read

Thank you so very much.

72. Elizabeth O says:

Fascinating tale. You had me on the edge of my seat there.

73. I’m usually not into such mysteries or anything that relates to horror, but this really caught my attention. The writing style is also eye catching. Thank you for sharing this!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you Sabrina. I have described the plot of my upcoming fiction short story, “Tea for One”, to a few people who have described it as “terrifying.” Perfect.😉 Unfortunately, I won’t be posting it on this site.

74. The abandoned school and pictures gave me creeps! I love how you used the pictures to give more illustration to the story.

The place does exist. Lol

75. Great story! the pictures really did send chills down my spine as I was reading, thanks for sharing.

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

76. Wow, this story is full of suspense! I love this!

77. I thought I saw slender man. 😀 Very compelling story! Great choice of words. 🙂

1. tenzendude says:

Ya, I write about paranormal things but I dont need to see Slender Man. Lol I’d be interested in hearing about your experience though. If you are comfortable telling me about it.

78. oyibougbo says:

Wow! You are such an incredible storyteller.. Very captivating, love your narration.. Really mind blowing.

1. tenzendude says:

That’s so nice of you to say. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

79. I love all things creepy; to mean, you got me intrigued here. The title , ‘The Disappearance of Jacob Johnstone’ was way too catchy…such an intro!

80. WhoMadeTime says:

Wow very suspenseful, definitely very creative writing!

1. tenzendude says:

Thank you for taking the time to read it.